Coding in the Classroom
Course Duration: 5 one-hour sessions. There are also video tutorials available to complement the lessons.
Prerequisite: The only prerequisite for this course is an interest in learning about computer coding.
Equipment: You must have access to a computer with an internet connection to participate.
Learning Outcome: At the end of this course, the participant will have the basic coding skills and resources to enable them to teach Coding to a Junior Cycle class.
Week 1/2 January 11th & 18th 7p.m.
· Introduce basic coding concepts through Scratch coding
o Variables, operators, loops, decisions
o Assignment, arithmetic, comparison, Boolean combinations - arrays, lists
o Functions / Procedures
· Design a simple ‘Lotto’ computer game in Scratch
Week 3 January 25th 7p.m.
· Algorithms and Flowcharts
Week 4 February 1st 7p.m.
· Coding using Minecraft for Education
· Designing a website with HTML
· Components of a computer system – Hardware/Software - CPU, memory, main storage, I/O Devices
· How the internet works / protocols for communication
Week 5 February 8th 7p.m.
· Binary/Octal/Hexadecimal Number Systems – Bits/Bytes/Switches/Pixels
· Machine Code / Assembly Language
· Sequential / Parallel flow of control
· Python Coding
· Coding the Raspberry Pi single-board computer
|Course Start Date / Time||25-01-2023 7:00 pm|
|Course End Date / Time||25-01-2023 8:00 pm|
Athlone Education Centre
EIRCODE: N37 HO43
TEL: +353 90 6420400